Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Trenton,  Mercer County, New Jersey

Trenton, the fifth city in point of population, had 84,180 inhabitants in 1905. We have learned in previous pages of the early history of Trenton. As the capital of New Jersey, it contains the most important State institutions. The first Capitol or State House was built at a cost of less than $20,000, but it has since been improved, added to, beautified, and rebuilt, until it is one of the finest structures of its kind in the Union.

The State Arsenal was erected in 1797 and was used for a time as the State Prison. Among its interesting relics are a French bronze gun of the date of 1758, a gun captured at the battle of Trenton, and two taken at Yorktown. The Lunatic Asylum, known as the State Hospital, was opened for the reception of patients in May, 1848. Its capacity has been increased from time to time and it now accommodates about 1500 patients. Its location, two miles north of the city, was chosen because of a large spring of the purest water. The legend is that when General Sullivan and his command were on their way to Trenton, to take part in the battle of December 26, 1776, they halted and slaked their thirst at this famous fountain.

Trenton leads all other cities in the country in the production of pottery, and its iron rolling and woolen mills have long been important. Rubber manufactures have of late years assumed great prominence. The city contains the Normal and Model Schools (see pages 209, 210), the State Home for Girls, the State Prison, and the School for Deaf Mutes.

New Jersey AHGP

Source: A Brief History of New Jersey, by Edward S. Ellis, A.M. and Henry Snyder, American Book Company, 1910.

Please Come Back Again!


This web page was last updated.
Sunday, 24-Jan-2016 10:41:50 EST

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White & Susan Dorris
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work