Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Hoboken Hudson County New Jersey

Hoboken, the sixth city in rank, had a population in 1905 of 65,468. It was only a short time after the Revolution that John Stevens bought the site of the present city of Hoboken. He saw its future; but when he divided the ground into building lots, and offered them for sale in 1804, Paul us Hook proved the greater attraction. He knew, however, that his reward would soon come.

The great city of New York overflows in all directions, and the ever increasing army of commuters make their homes among the outlying towns on both sides of the river. Hoboken was chartered as a city in 1855.

The growth of Hoboken has been almost unparalleled. The city contains extensive iron foundries, a large coal and iron trade, and is the terminus of several important steamship lines. Edwin A. Stevens, through his will, richly endowed the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, and it was opened in 1871. The institution ranks among the foremost of its kind in the United States.

New Jersey AHGP

Source: A Brief History of New Jersey, by Edward S. Ellis, A.M. and Henry Snyder, American Book Company, 1910.

Please Come Back Again!


This web page was last updated.
Sunday, 24-Jan-2016 10:41:48 EST

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White & Susan Dorris
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work